Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Chapter 9


Chapter 9



Chapter 9



….had a look of someone who was nervous about something. As I made my way to the counter again I said,  “Good morning Charley!” This time he said good morning but with hesitation. I have always been a straight forward man and sensing something,  I asked if there was something wrong. I wasn't sure if maybe he or maybe Elisabeth had been ill. Elisabeth is Charley’s wife and she too had been a longtime friend of mine and Caroline’s. He cleared his throat and then turn toward the back room, In a somber tone he hollered for Elizabeth, and it wasn't long before she appeared from the shadows. She always held herself prim and proper. She wore a long dress with a full apron flowing down from her neck to her ankles, her hair, though gray now was always neatly tucked under a head bonnet. As she came closer, Charley leaned over and whispered something in her ear then turned back toward me. Again his eyes were uneasy. I wasn't sure what was going on but before I could ask him what it was he told me that they had a package for me.  I remember the moment I heard package. I perked up, my chest filled with excitement thinking what it was and from who.  I was just about to ask when out of the back came Elizabeth, she was carrying a small box covered with a white cloth. There was a piece of packing twine tied around it and as she handed it to Charley I could see something was strange. As he handed it to me he said something that sent chills through my body…..

No comments:

Post a Comment