Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Chapter 5


Chapter 5

Well, I suppose I will go for now, and maybe I can try and get some rest. Edward is coming over in the morning to take me to town. I don't go alone anymore after the buck board tipped over along the old Creek bed. I had to chuckle just a little when it happened.  Remember how many times you warned me I was getting to close to the edge? Well you were right. It destroyed the old Wagon but Old Steady made it through without a hitch. He has been a good old horse but like me he is getting past his time. You never know, maybe we will both be seeing you together. It would be like old times. Ok, sweetest dreams Caroline, see you soon.

As I finished Caroline’s letter I placed it in the bottom drawer of the parlor desk where many before have made their way. I made my way over to the fireplace, placed one more log on the glowing embers and blew out the candle. I stood there for a minute and turned back toward a chair where Caroline would have been sitting. A tear fell slowly down my cheek; my hand reached for my face and as I gently ran it across. I could feel the roughness of the stubble and as I……

No comments:

Post a Comment