Friday, April 18, 2014

Chapter 18




Chapter 18

....what sounded like a loud thump. I sat up and then listened but it was quiet.  I laid back down still running through my head what that sound could have been and after staring at a dark ceiling I decided I could just as well get up and at least check on Edward.  I carefully made my way into the family room and found my way to the end table where I kept some matches. As I reached inside the drawer I was suddenly startled by another strange sound. My hand quickly found the matches and I lit one without hesitation. As the match filled the room with a amber glow, I scanned the room but  didn't notice anything out of place and before I lost the flame I laid it to the wick of one of the large candles. The room filled again with light and I could see better than the light from the match.  I walked slowly toward the outside door and opened it. A cool breeze met my face as I halfways hid behind the door. At the time of opening the door I had figured it was in the middle of the night, maybe one or two, but quickly realized that morning was on the horizon. Just off in the distance I could see what looked like a softness of darkness so it must have been close to five am. I looked over the area the best I could, then closed the door. My eyes squinted as I turned back around and made my way toward the back room where Edward was sleeping. There was only a old rug hanging over the door way. As I slowly pushed it to one side and extended my hand with the candle so I could see if he was ok....

No comments:

Post a Comment